SC Test of Time Award
The annual SC Test of Time Award (ToTA) recognizes an outstanding paper that has deeply influenced the HPC discipline. It is a mark of historical impact and recognition that the paper has changed HPC trends. The ToTA also acts as an incentive for researchers and students to send their best work to the SC Conference, and as a tool for understanding what makes lasting results in the HPC discipline. Papers appearing in the SC Program 10 to 25 years prior to the current conference year are eligible for this award.
Past Test of Time Awardees
- SC18: John Salmon and Mike Warren, “A Parallel Hashed Oct-Tree N-Body Algorithm” (published at SC1993)
- SC17: Michael Wolfe, “More Iteration Space Tiling” (published at SC1989)
- SC16: Jack Dongarra and Clint Whaley, “Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software” (published at SC1998)
- SC15: D. Bailey, E. Barszcz, J. Barton, D. Browning, R. Carter, L. Dagum, R. Fatoohi, P. Frederickson, T. Lasinski, R. Schreiber, H. Simon, V. Venkatakrishnan, and S. Weeratunga, “The NAS Parallel Benchmarks – Summary and Preliminary Results” (published at SC1991)
- SC14: Bruce Hendrickson and Rob Leland, “A Multi-level Algorithm for Partitioning Graphs” (published at SC1995)
- SC13: William Pugh, “The Omega Project and Constraint Based Analysis Techniques in High Performance Computing” (published at SC1991)
Test of Time Award Nominations
- The ToTA is presented annually to a single paper published in the SC Conference Proceedings 10 to 25 years ago.
- A paper can receive the award only once.
Preparing Your Nomination
- The nomination form includes a statement (maximum 250 words) describing why the paper should be nominated, including its impact and influence on trends in HPC. In addition, you must upload the full paper in PDF format.
- Nominations are submitted via the SC submissions website. View sample nomination form.
Selection Process and Announcement
- A committee formed each year by the General Conference Chair and the Technical Program Chair selects the award winner. The winner is announced in September before the SC Conference.
- ToTA winners receive a certificate, plaque, and a cash prize.
At the SC Conference
- On Tuesday, November 19, the author(s) or an expert are invited to give a talk at the Test of Time Award Presentation explaining the significance and impact the paper has had in HPC.
- In addition, the award winner is invited to attend the Thursday Awards Ceremony at which they will be recognized.
Test of Time Award nominations are now closed.